Kiku’s Classic over bust corsets are based around a 1890s longline corset design; they are typically cut with 10 to 12 panels, and around 20 spiral steel bones, however sizes 34 and over have more panels and spiral steel bones, while sizes 22 and under are made with slightly fewer spiral steel bones.
The classic cut produces a gently curved hourglass silhouette using cased single boning. We can offer a range of adjustments to our standard classic cut, for example double boning, hidden casings or larger bust sizes; please see ‘custom corsets’ for more details.
Features of a Kiku corset:
- Wide 2”/5cm busk
- Busk placket
- Spiral steel bones; boned strategically both in seams and mid-panels, for a smooth silhouette and even reduction.
- Kiku corsets are constructed using backed fashion fabrics and English herringbone cotton coutil strength lining; our ‘Classic’ corset styles have grosgrain stay tape at the waist.
- Pattern matched panels; when using fashion fabrics with motifs, we pattern match the panel pieces so that patterns appear to flow across seams.
- We lace with matching, or contrast, 10mm double faced satin ribbon, with zero spring. Alternatively, you can have your corset laced with 5mm black cotton woven lace, finished with plain metal or filigree aglets.
- The eyelets on a Kiku corset are constructed using two-part grommets, usually at 1.5cm spacing.
- Grommets are supported by four flat steels; one on each side of the eyelet columns.
- Our corsets are typically finished with matching, or contrast, handmade bias bindings